Friday, May 28, 2010

Everything in Moderation: High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)

While I was waiting to meet a friend today I found myself thirsty and without my #1 favorite drink... water.  All the water bottles in the car were empty.  I couldn't decide what I wanted to drink, but I wanted something cold and refreshing with how hot it was outside today!

So I was talking to a girlfriend of mine and decided nothing at Starbucks peaked my interest.  It was inside the Kroger grocery store, so I moved on to the drink coolers by the checkout stands.  I found something I have never seen down south before... Turkey Hill Iced Tea!!!  Oh my surprise!  Turkey Hill is a nothern company, and I must say I've missed their ice cream... my favorite being the all natural mint chocolate chip variety.  It's super creamy and minty and Mmmmmm!  Seeing their iced tea in a store hundreds of miles from home made me smile UNTIL I looked at the label (habit these days) and saw one of the top ingredients: high fructose corn syrup.

I was so BUMMED!  Now we all know there are numerous studies out on how this stuff is not good for you.  And my friend understood how I felt about the item, stating "well, everything in moderation, ya know!"  And she is right.  Everything in moderation... but IS there moderation these days with HFCS?  Not so much, but that is about to change.

Well, I opted instead for Snapple Natural Peach iced tea, which came in glass and used sugar instead of HFCS.  And when I met my friend, he had purchased ketchup to go with the burgers we planned on cooking out with later.  My son LOVES burgers with his ketchup, haha, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw on the label that the ketchup on sale had a label stating No High Fructose Corn Syrup!  SWEET!  It was good, too.  Still in plastic, which is not the greatest - but I was proud of the baby step away from HFCS.

This stuff is in practically everything!  Moderation is difficult to do if you aren't making your own food, condiments, etc. and staying away from sodas (and other beverages).  How much does the average american consume each year?  Approximately 40 lbs. per year.  Not really in my book as moderate.  Various studies have been done on this stuff, and it really isn't great for you.  Do your own research, and then consider transitioning to a HFCS free household.  Your body will thank you for it!

Step into Health Tip: consider replacing products with HFCS with products that do not have it.  One step at a time!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home