Thursday, March 24, 2011

All Natural Gel-Type Deodorant

Learn how to make all-natural, aluminum-free, gel type deodorant in two minutes!


Hi, I'm Melanie from AStepIntoHealth.com and today we're going to be making all natural, gel-type deodorant from products you probably already have in your home.  Last month, I read an article on TheSmartMama.com titled "What's Wrong with Natural Deodorants?  You may be surprised to find aluminum."  Aluminum is a known neurotoxin, and your skin is very absorbant.  Jennifer Taggert recommended several aluminum-free alternatives, and inspired me to create a deodorant that was right for me and my family.  This all natural gel type deodorant requires only water, baking soda, and a thickener like xanathan gum or cornstarch.

First, take 1/2 cup of water, which should be boiled or distilled, and pour it into your magic bullet cup or blender.  Next take 1 soup spoon/tablespoon full of baking soda and dump it into the container with your water.  Stir until the mix is completely dissolved.  There should be NO precipitate (extra baking soda) at the bottom of your cup, and once the water settles it will be clear.  Take 1 soup spoon or tablespoon of xanathan gum or other thickener of your choice, and dump it into your baking soda/water mixture.

At this point, your mixture is ready to be blended but if you'd like you can add a few specialties like seential oils (for fragrance or antimicrobial properties) or a little olive oil if you would like to add an extra moisturizing property to your deodorant.  Make sure if you add any oils you add it after the baking soda is dissolved.

Now we're ready to blend.  Just put on the lid securely and blend.  The mixture gets thicker the more you blend (a hand wire whisk can also be used).  Take off the lid, and inside we have a nice gel type consistency deodorant.  The last step is to use an empty, clean, and unwound gel-deodorant container. (I recommend using protective gloves to clean it out.  Placing the container in boiling water could also be done for sanitizing purposes.)  Remove the lid, pour in the mixture to the top, and pop the lid back on nice and tight (so it is secure).

This is Melanie from AStepIntoHealth.com.  Remember the best way to get healthy and stay healthy is a step at a time!

What is your favorite deodorant recipe?

4 Comments:

At October 6, 2011 at 3:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how you managed to make this because it didn't work for me. No matter what I did I could not get the baking soda to go completely clear in the water (it was distilled), then when I blended with some cornstarch it would not solidify. It stayed as watery as plain water no matter how long I blended.

 
At February 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous, sorry to hear that! I tried making more of this since this post - but the next time I used Guar Gum instead of Xanathan gum. While it certainly made it MUCH thicker than the xanathan, it also had a scent to it that I did not enjoy (and dumped in the end).

I have not used cornstarch, but it is good to know it is not a great thickener in this recipe. In your case, I would add baking soda 1 tbsp. at a time, making sure it dissolves in the water. Having leftover baking soda in there is asking for irritation when on the skin. I'll update the blog to report on the cornstarch debacle, and I hope you try it with Xanathan gum instead. It works so nicely every time! Blending really didn't take long at all - a minute or so.

 
At November 30, 2019 at 12:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I use pectin as a thickening substance for this recipe?

 
At May 12, 2021 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Blog Comment Backlinks said...

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. infertility Treatment in Lucknow

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home