Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Natural Deodorant Revisited

After having made a second batch of gel-type deodorant using guar gum instead of xanathan gum, I am going back to the xanathan.  Here's why:

  • it turned a brownish color
  • it has a scent to it - and I don't like it
That said, I may have accidentally used too much guar gum so it's not fair to say it stinks in comparison to xanathan (but I'm going to say it anyway!)

I just made a new batch today using xanathan gum.  What I love:
  • it's a creamy white color, which I like
  • it smells good (I added a drop of lavender and peppermint EOs to the batch)
Added notes:
  • if you add too much baking soda to the water, it won't stay mixed in and it might feel scratchy.
    • Fix: add more water or use less baking soda next time
  • if it's too runny, put it into a roller bottle or add a little bit of xanathan gum
  • if you don't like the wet feel of putting a gel-type deodorant on, use the recipe The Smart Mama had on her site that uses coconut oil as a mixture, and pour it into a regular stick deodorant container.
Also, I didn't end up liking the gel for shampoo in my case - I'm quite happier using the no poo recipe instead.  But my kids use the gel, as it is much easier to use.

What have you found works for you?  Do you like this recipe, and have you used it for your hair or just as a deodorant?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home