Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Steps in the right direction

Lately, I've been feeling kinda depressed.  Boo hoo, cry me a river.  Wait!  Maybe I should go on some antidepressants.  Those fix everything... not.

So here's what I've been doing about it, instead of continuing to let it get the better of me:

Drinking my Rick Style Smoothie
  • told someone (not everyone in cyberspace.  I told the person closest to me, and MAN I felt better just getting it off my chest.
  • started moving (his action steps, not my idea actually).  Today I went to the gym we joined yesterday and did the elliptical for 30 minutes.  That was enough to work up a sweat and come home.
  • garbage in... garbage out.  I started putting better foods into my body again.  Last night I had a smoothie, and after my workout today, I made another one.  Recipes below.
  • gratitude - the one thing my body told me is that I needed to write down all the blessings in my life.  I just didn't feel like getting out of bed at the time.  So I'll start here, and tonight I'll bring my journal back to bed (I shared what I was thankful for with the kids the other day so it moved from my bedside) where I can write before I go to sleep.
I am thankful for my family, and getting to see them again this Christmas.  I am thankful for my sister, who always knows what to say and how to kick my butt into gear again.  I am grateful for my loving, wonderful parents, who are supportive and kind and always love me whether they agree with my decisions or not.  I am so blessed to have my lover and partner, who is by my side helping pick me up when I am down and who is there to laugh with me.  I am thankful for our wonderful, intelligent, kind, and loving children.  I am grateful they know and understand what love really is, how it should be, and how to act with kindness.  I am blessed to be on my chiropractic journey, and discover the things I will and will not do in my office one day.  I am blessed to be challenged every day, especially on who I am, so I can stand firm in that without compromising and still shine.  I am thankful God is present in our lives each and every day, and I am thankful our children can see that.  I am thankful to have good food to eat and share with my friends and family.  I am blessed to live in a safe place, with caring friends and neighbors.  I am thankful for hugs and kisses, smiles, and laughter.  They make the world a better place.
I am sharing this today because it is important to realize that everyone takes steps backwards sometimes.  The best thing to do is to ask for help when you need it, and keep on taking one step at a time into the direction you want to go.

I almost forgot!  Smoothie recipes!!

Grapefruit Goodness
1 grapefruit, peeled
2 kale leaves
1 stalk of celery
some parsley, fresh
some fresh mint
water, to desired thickness

Rick Style Smoothie
My boyfriend likes the thicker, less sweet smoothies and this suits him just fine.  I don't think it's too bad - has a bit of a lemon taste which I like.
1 lemon, peeled
5-6 cherry tomatoes
2 stalks celery
2 leaves of kale
1/3 cucumber
fresh ginger to taste
1 ripe avocado
water, to desired thickness

I use the Vitamix for my smoothies, but any blender will do (really!)

What do you do to get out of a funk?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home