Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gluten Free Oatmeal Bread

I have been playing around with gluten free oatmeal bread for about a week now. It's gone GREAT! The problem I have is that I'm lazy... and cheap! If I run out of flour, I'll grind oatmeal I have on hand into flour before running to the store, and I buy what is on sale so the same flours are never on hand. And I LOVE Gluten Free Bisquick. That stuff kicks butt, and if I make something with it, it always turns out awesome. So tonight I made some gluten freedom cupcakes (not my recipe) and decided to make a double batch of oatmeal bread (cause we don't have enough for tomorrow, and I don't want to go to the store, of course!) Told you I was lazy!


Double Oatmeal Bread


2 cups water
4 tbsp. flax seeds
6 eggs
4 tbsp. molasses
2 tbsp. vinegar

3 cups oat flour
1 cup millet
1 cup gluten free bisquick
1 cup tapioca starch
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 and grease your bread loaf pans with coconut oil. Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl, and let sit for a few minutes. Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl on the lowest setting so it doesn't blow up in your face, of course! Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix well. Pour into bread pans in equal amounts (unless you like one loaf bigger than the other) and bake for 35 minutes or until it comes out clean with a toothpick.

Let the bread COOL before taking it out of the pan or it will FALL APART! Cut gently with a bread knife (I read somewhere electric knifes work great for thin slicing). I tend to get at least 20-24 slices out of each loaf, which makes it perfect for lunches ALL WEEK!!!!

Told you I was lazy. One hour of baking for a week's worth of kids lunches.

What's healthy about this, you ask? First of all, look at the ingredients. Did you see a ton of sugar in it, or fat? No. No chemicals, either, and it's gluten free and dairy free! And if you are smart enough, you could probably make it VEGAN if you used egg replacer (a liquid kind is advised).

Good luck, and let me know if you try it or modify it to rock even more. My family LOVES LOVES LOVES this bread!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home